Delivery Date: April 15, 2011 (Friday)Hospital: Cardinal Santos Medical Center (Ocular Visit)Method:Lamaze (Natural Spontaneous Delivery without Epidural/Anesthesia)Weeks: 39 weeks and 3 days
*You can check HERE on how I prepared myself for a successful Lamaze delivery.
As per my weekly check up with my OB, my dilation was already 1-2 cm, my cervix has already softened and my baby was on -2 pelvic station [Read Dilation, Effacement, Pelvic Station]. I was really thankful that our walking exercise that started during my 37th week has came into fruition. My OB told me that if I will not give birth that week, she would have to admit me next Wednesday.
After our appointment and our lunch at Cardinal, Hubby and I went straight to Megamall for another walking regimen. I walked around the mall’s perimeter thrice and I went up and down the stairs twice (from basement to 5th floor).
Unexpectedly, before I peed, I saw my mucus plug on my undie. Yehey! I’m already experiencing one of the 3 actual signs of labor, signaling my imminent delivery day. Do you want to know how mucus plug looks like? Check out Google Image =)
I didn’t wake hubby yet, thinking it might subside in an hour or two. So I went to the bathroom and started timing my contractions.
For one and half hours the interval of my contractions has reached 3-4 minutes. The pain is getting stronger but still manageable through breathing. This time I woke hubby up and picked the labor bag.
We transferred to my in-law’s house, waited there and continued timing. I was adamant in going to the hospital at the time asI don’t want to be sent home due to a false labor. So I made sure I’m really in a true labor.
The interval of my contractions was still 3-4 minutes. This time I strongly wanted to go to the hospital already. The pain was starting to get unbearable.
We arrived at Cardinal Santos and I was immediately wheeled to the OB prep room where the attending resident OB monitored my contractions and fetal heartbeat for 30 minutes. And my record was confirmed, the interval of my contraction was indeed 3-4 minutes. Another resident OB IE’d me, where her showed that I was 3cm dilated and 50% effaced but baby went back into floating.
My OB confirmed that I have to be admitted already. So the nurses were asking what room was I going to avail, the labor room or the Lamaze room. I was undecided at first because the bed in the Lamaze room was not yet fixed, meaning I can’t have my delivery done there and they would transfer me to the Delivery Room. But in the end, I opted for the Lamaze room so hubby can be with me.
I got admitted at the Birthing room. Overseen by a nurse, Hubby and I walked along the short hall of the Delivery Room to help ease out my labor. I was not, by the way, attached to an IV since I requested for no IV unless necessary. I was bleeding profusely while walking, but a resident informed us that it was ok because it was my cervix effacing.
It was time for my intermittent vaginal exam again, I was 5cm dilated, 100% effaced but baby is still floating (shocks!). I prayed and talked to my baby to descend and help mommy.
After my vaginal exam, hubby and I stopped walking because the pain is unbearable already, making me unable to walk. We just enjoyed the home-like experience we had at the birthing room.
I was 6cm dilated and baby was on -3 pelvic station (yehey!). Contraction interval was 2-3 minutes. Baby’s heartbeat was still doing great.
This time the pain was getting stronger and stronger that aside from breathing/panting, I even waggled my toes during contractions to somehow distract me away from the pain. We were also waiting for my OB to arrive so she could do my IE.
I was hesitant at first for artificial rupture because it will make the contraction more intense. I was kind of tired from battling every contraction pain already so I was leaning for a sedation and agreed for artificial rupture.
My OB, who was always putting my preferences first agreed for sedation. But the other OB cared enough to let me achieve my birth plan and believed in me that I can make it to the finish line without any anesthesia.
The two OB’s even had a short discussion regarding my choices. After they agreed, my OB told me that I would be drowsy and won’t be able to push my baby out should they sedate me. So I heeded to their advices; on with the artificial rupture and no for sedation.
Minutes after my water bag broke, I started having an urge to push. But I cannot push yet because I was being transferred from the Lamaze Room to the Delivery Room. It was so hard to hold up, I was already saying “aray,” “ouch” in between my breathings. In what seemed like forever, I was not allowed to push for 4-5 contractions, argh! I can’t explain how it felt.
After they have positioned me on the narrow delivery bed, that was the time I started pushing. What made it difficult for me in this stage, was that the coaching of the resident OB’s were not timed with my contractions. In every contraction, their cues came seconds later from the start of my urge to push.